220 Fourth Avenue South, Kent WA 98032 - (253) 856-5200

Logo

The Official Website of the City of Kent

 

Food and yard debris

Food and yard debris is about 30% of the waste we generate at home. If you live in Kent, you may not put yard debris into your garbage container but you do have a number of recycling choices.

Grasscycling

According to Time and Motion Studies, 40% of total time it takes to mow a yard is spent bagging and dragging grass to the curb. Instead of needlessly relocating the grass clippings, utilize them by leaving them on the lawn. The clippings are 60% water and provide nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus to the yard, making the need to irrigate and fertilize significantly less which saves you time and money. 

 

Grass clippings, leaves, yard debris and some food waste can easily be composted. Visit King County Yard and Composting for additional information.

Setting up a Collection Program

All Kent single family residents receive a yard and food waste collection cart at no additional cost as part of their garbage and recycling service.

For more information visit AlliedWasteKent.com 

Gardening Programs

The King County Local Hazardous Waste Management Program offers a free Green Gardening Program to garden clubs, homeowners, neighborhood associations, service clubs, and other community groups. Kent Gardening Programs include an Arbor Day Planting event, Community Pea Patch, Green Gardening and Heritage Gardening information.

Drop-off Locations

The Yard Debris section of the Guide to Recyclable Materials lists recycling drop-off locations in the Kent area.

Pesticide Reduction and Natural Yard Care

Information regarding pesticide and herbicide reduction and safer alternatives is available through the King County Household Hazardous Waste Program.

top of page