The prosecution division of the City of Kent Law Department:
- Prosecutes all criminal violations of city ordinances constituting misdemeanors and gross misdemeanors;
- Defends the city on appeals of criminal misdemeanor matters;
- Prosecutes drug forfeiture cases;
- Advises police officers on probable cause and other issues; and
- Provides training and advice to Kent Police Officers.
Family Violence Unit
The prosecution division is also home to the City's Domestic Violence Advocates who:
- Provide assistance to family violence victims;
- Assist prosecutors and police officers by reviewing police reports, interviewing witnesses, and appearing at court hearings to support victims of family violence;
- Provide individual victim education, prevention, safety planning and referral;
- Provide training to Kent Police Department personnel and other agencies; and
- Participate in community outreach, prevention, and training.