220 Fourth Avenue South, Kent WA 98032 - (253) 856-5200


The Official Website of the City of Kent

Utility Services and Billing

Utility Services

The City of Kent operates the utilities of water, sewer, and storm drainage. However, not all of Kent is served by the Kent Water Utility. Other water services are provided through Soos Creek Water & Sewer and by Water District 111.  


Other City Utilities

Puget Sound Energy 1-888-225-5773
Republic Services - Allied Waste Division                    253-872-7220           
Soos Creek Water & Sewer 253-630-9900
Water District 111 253-631-3770

What are the Kent utility bill rates? See detailed information in our Utility Rates Guide.


Water access rate is determined by the size of the water meter.  Water consumption is measured in units. One unit of water is 748 gallons (100 cubic feet). Most water meters are read every two months and rates are based on a two-tier rate structure.


Meter size Monthly charge
3/4" or 5/8" $13.10
1" $22.26
1-1/2" $33.98
2" $45.04
3" $95.50
4" $115.72



The first 14 units of water used in the two-month time frame are charged between $3.12 and $5.02 per unit depending on whether property is inside or outside city limits and whether summer or winter rates apply. Rates are considerably lower in the winter months. The range for water consumption for units above 14 is $4.22 to $6.17 per unit. The water access rate is based on meter size and is billed monthly.


  Inside City Limits Outside City Limits
Cubic Feet Winter Summer Winter Summer
0-700 $3.12 $4.11 $4.11 $5.02
700+ $4.22 $5.24 $5.24 $6.17
Lifeline rates* $0.61 $0.67

*Lifeline Program


Effective January 1, 2016, the residential sewer rate is $61.46 per month. Of that, Kent pays King County Metro (a wholesaler of sewage treatment) $42.03, with $19.43 going to the city for system maintenance and operations. All other than Single-family residential customers pay a sewer rate based on their water consumption with a minimum base rate of $61.46 a month.  

Storm Drainage

Commercial storm drainage rates are based on property size, percentage of impervious surface. Residential customers are billed a flat rate of $12.22.  For property owners within the city limits, not receiving water and/or sewer service from the city, Storm Drainage will be billed quarterly. Property owners who are outside of Kent's city limits will be billed with their property tax from King County.

Utility Rate Recap

Sewer               $61.46 per month
Storm Drainage      $12.22 per month
Water Meter $13.10 - $115.72 per month 
Water Usage $3.12 - $6.17 per unit - billed every other month 

What are the options in paying my Utility bill?

  • Pay utility bill online
  • Automated Payments are available.  You can print the Automated Payment form from our forms page, or call 253-856-5201 for more information.
  • By Phone with a Visa or MasterCard 253-856-5201
  • In person at the Centennial Building located at 400 West Gowe Street, Suite 122
  • Drop Box - located in the City Hall parking lot turnaround (220 4th Avenue South)
  • By mail - Utility Customer Services - PO Box 84665 Seattle, WA 98124

What form do I need to authorize a tenant be billed directly for utilities?

An owner authorization form for tenants can be printed from the customer service forms page, and sent to the city.

Special Discounts

Lifeline Program

Senior citizens, low income or disabled residents may qualify for the Lifeline Program. The City of Kent offers reduced rates to those in need.  Please call 253-856-5201 for more information.

Why does my utility bill change from month to month?

Kent bills a flat rate for utilities every month. However water consumption is billed once every two months. One month a fixed rate for water will show on the bill, and the next month, the water consumption charge for the past 60 days will also appear on the bill. 


 Opening and closing City of Kent utility accounts

 Call 253-856-5201 for these services.

Who do I call for utility emergencies involving water, sewer, or storm drainage?

During regular work hours, call Public Works Operations at 253-856-5600. After hours contact the City of Kent Police at 253-856-5800.

Water Quality 

For questions regarding water quality, call Public Works Operations at 253-856-5600

Garbage Services

Republic Services - Residential - 206-682-9735

Republic Services - Commercial - 253-872-7220

Storm Drainage and Sewer Division

All storm drainage and sewer problems and questions should be directed to Public Works Operations at 253-856-5600.

Vegetation and tree control

Concerns about roadway obstructions, overgrown vegetation and trees should be directed to Public Works Operations at 253-856-5600.


More Information

For more information about our Utility Rates please consult our Utility Rates Guide or call our office at 253-856-5201.