220 Fourth Avenue South, Kent WA 98032 - (253) 856-5200


The Official Website of the City of Kent

Frequently asked questions 

Contact us with general crime tip information that isn't in progress, such as drug or prostitution activity. Records staff will forward you to the appropriate officer or detective. Records can be reached Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. at 253-856-5800.

How do I report an abandoned or illegally parked vehicle?

A vehicle is considered abandoned if it is parked on the roadway and unmoved for a period of time or is inoperable and incapable of moving.

  • Go to our Customer Support Center  
  • Choose Make a Request 
  • Select Abandoned Vehicle or Illegal Parking 
  • Provide requested information (location, description of vehicle, etc)

Abandoned vehicles will be tagged with an Abandoned Warning Notice. The owner is given a grace period to move the vehicle (typically 24-72 hours). Parking Enforcement action may occur if the vehicle has not been moved.

How do I find out if someone's in the Kent jail?

Check our Jail Inmate Lookup Service (JILS) or call 253-856-5960. The City of Kent Corrections Facility (Kent City jail) is located at 1230 S Central.

Jail inmate rosters to surrounding areas can be found at www.kentwa.gov/jail/jils/links.  

I locked my keys in my car. Can an officer unlock it?

Officers or VIPS (Volunteers In Police Service) can help if you call Dispatch at 253-852-2121. You will be required to sign a hold harmless waiver acknowledging that potential damage may occur.

I need to get my stuff out of my residence, but I don't feel safe going alone.

Call Dispatch, 253-852-2121, to request a Civil Standby. An officer will stand by to keep the peace but not intervene or determine ownership of property if there is a dispute.

Please note that crimes in progress will take priority over a civil standby and you may be required to wait for an available officer.

Where can I get a permit to carry a gun (Concealed Pistol License)? 

Residents in Kent city limits apply with Kent PD or King County Sheriff's Office. Applications are available at the Kent Police Department. Please call 253-856-5800 during business hours to schedule a fingerprint appointment.


A CPL (Concealed Pistol License) is sometimes called a gun permit, CWP (concealed weapon permit) or CCW (concealed carry weapon permit).

More info on CPLs can be found on the WA Department of Licensing website, www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/faconcealreq.html

What do I bring to my appointment?

  • Valid government issued picture ID (WA state driver's license or WA state ID card)
  • Completed application (3 pages) 
  • $50.75 cash, check, Visa or MasterCard

We conduct a criminal history background check on each applicant. If you are clear of prohibitive crimes (any felony or domestic violence related conviction) your CPL will be mailed to you within a month.

Do you fingerprint?

We fingerprint for Concealed Pistol License (CPL) applicants only, on Wednesdays, by appointment. See CPL info above. 


Please call our Records Unit at 253-856-5800 to make an appointment. Hurry, slots fill up fast!

I need information on my case, but I don't know the case number.

Provide as many details as possible:

  • Incident or type of crime
  • Date and time it occurred
  • Location (address) of the incident
  • Officer's name
  • Date and time you reported it

I'm interested in moving to a Kent apartment. What's the neighborhood crime rate? 

Check crime maps in your neighborhood at KentCrimeReports.com.


Statistics can't provide answers to these questions:

  • What do they compare to?
  • How do they compare to other areas, other cities, or prior years?
  • Is crime going up or down?
  • Has the property sold?
  • And many more 

Look for positive signs throughout the grounds, in the apartments, and from apartment management. We work with managers and owners of residential rental property to reduce crime Kent through our Safe Tenants and Rentals program.