This project is part of the City of Kent's Green River Levee Improvement Program. The project includes inspecting the levee along the east side of the Green River and rebuilding or improving the levee as needed. This levee protects portions of Kent, Renton and Tukwila from flooding. The Briscoe/Desimone Levee is located between S. 180th Street and S. 200th Street and connects to other levee segments. Together, these levees prevent flooding in approximately two-thirds of the Kent valley. The project includes:
- Conducting geotechnical inspections to identify areas needing repair
- Constructing setback flood walls along four sections, or reaches, of the levee that do not meet stability criteria
- Removing large trees and roots that could cause damage to the levees
- Removing ivy and other ground cover that can prevent routine inspections
- Submitting applications to FEMA to certify the levees so properties are removed from the Kent valley floodplains and property owners are no longer required to buy flood insurance
See a map of the project locations:
Timeline of Events:
October 2011 - Submitted information to FEMA on the proposed levee improvements
2012 - The City of Kent applied for a grant from Washington State for levee improvements. $7 million was approved by the legislature.
2013 - FEMA will confirm that the proposed levee improvements are adequate to remove Kent valley properties from floodplains
June 2013 - Interlocal Agreement between the City of Kent and the King County Flood Control District for design and construction signed
December 2013 - Advertise Reach 2 and 3 for bids
March 2014 - Interlocal Agreement between Cities of Kent and Tukwila for work on Reach 1 signed
March to December 2014 - Construct Reach 2 and 3 levee improvements - Green River Trail to be closed during construction. See detour map.
November 2014 - Advertise Reach 1 and 4 for bids
April to December 2015 - Construct Reach 1 and 4 levee improvements
Estimated Project Cost:
Contract Award for Reach 2 and 3:
Contract Award for Reach 1 Sheet Piling Supply Contract:
Corpac Steel Products Corp.