Call to Teaching Artists
Kent Kids' Arts Day
Compensation: $100-$500 (time and materials)
Teaching Date: Saturday, March 1, 2014
Event hours: 10am -4pm
Location: Kent Commons, 525 Fourth Avenue North, Kent, Washington
Artist Selection Process: Open to artists living in the Puget Sound region
Applications Due: Monday, January 10, 2014 (materials must be received – this is NOT a postmark deadline)
Teaching Opportunity: Kent Kids’ Arts Day allows children and families to explore creativity together. Our objective is to provide a fun, educational and quality arts experience for youth of all backgrounds. Our guiding philosophy is that everyone can experience creativity with their own hands. Creative expression and having fun “doing art” is our goal.
A variety of hands on art projects for kids ages 4-14 are sought.
Compensation: Past projects awards range from $250 - 500 (time & materials). Artists are compensated for their time and materials based on the budget submitted with the application.
In addition to providing project leadership for 500-600 participants, teaching artists should provide the following services:
- All project design and preparation
- Arrive by 9am for event set-up
- Depending on the complexity of the project, Teaching Artists are encouraged to co-teach the project with a project partner
- The City of Kent will provide volunteers to assist with projects
- Teaching artists are responsible for training and supervising the volunteers during the event
- The City of Kent will provide tables covered in butcher paper and chairs
- Teaching artists are responsible for bringing all other project materials
- Projects are open to the public from 10am-4pm
- Teaching artists should plan to stay until 5pm to remove projects and clean-up area
About Kent Kids' Arts Day: Now in its 27th year, Kent Kids' Arts Day is a project of the Kent Arts Commission and City of Kent Parks, Recreation and Community Services. The festival is organized with the assistance of community educators and is partially funded by 4Culture, Kent Lions Club and Kent Community Foundation. Many thanks to the Kent School District, Kent Commons staff and all of the event volunteers.
Artist Selection Process: A selection panel will review all eligible applications.
- Feasibility of proposed project
- Past experience relevant to this opportunity
- Ability to work during the hours outlined above
- Balance of project types for event as a whole
Artist Selection Schedule [subject to change]
Deadline for entry: must be received by Monday, January 10, 2014
Selection Panel: early February
Notification: early February
Eligibility restrictions – Current Kent Arts Commission members, employees of the City of Kent and the business partners and immediate family members of all of those individuals may not apply for this project.
To apply to be an art project leader, fill out the application and include a 1 page letter of interest, a resume and project samples. If you would like samples returned, please include a self-addressed stamped envelope.
Mail applications to: RE: Teaching Artist: Kent Kids' Arts Day
Cultural Division/City of Kent
220 4th Avenue South
Kent, WA 98032-5895
Mark Hendrickson, Cultural Programs Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org