VIPS: Volunteers In Police Service
A Group Of Dedicated Citizens Giving Their
Time For The Good Of The Community
Volunteers In Police Service (VIPS) is a group of community members who assist Kent Police Department employees providing services to the community. These services could not be done without this wonderful group of people who volunteer their free time.
The Kent Police Department is proud to have a dedicated team of volunteers who help in the following programs:
- Disabled Parking Enforcement
- Fingerprinting (provide fingerprinting services for adoption, Concealed Pistol Licenses, employment purposes, and school programs. Volunteers do not fingerprint suspects or prisoners)
- Hands of Friendship
- Office Help (miscellaneous clerical duties)
- Radar Trailer (scroll down to "Request the Radar Trailer")
- TNT (Tagging Neutralization Team - graffiti removal)
- Volunteer Patrol
- Failure to Appear
VIPS invites any Kent city resident or employee wanting to give something back to the community to apply to be one of these Very Important PersonS.
Do YOU want to join the VIPS Team?
The selection process for volunteer membership includes:
- US Citizen
- 18 years of age
- Ability to work 10 hours a month as a VIPS
- Live or work in Kent
- Valid driver's license with a good driving record
- No criminal record and/or association with criminal activity
- Substance abuse
Upon acceptance as a member of the VIPS program, the Kent Police Department will schedule appropriate orientation. We provide all training, uniforms, and necessary equipment.
If you are interested in volunteering with the City of Kent Police Department, please call 253-856-5824 or e-mail. The VIPS desk is not staffed full time, so please leave your name and phone number if you reach a recording and we will return your call.
For more information on VIPS eligibility, click here. You can also print and complete the application and mail or drop it off at the Kent Police Department.
We look forward to you joining our team!
Other Volunteer opportunities in the city