spring recycling event...
Start that Spring Cleaning Early! March 15, 2014, 9am-3pm – Russell Road Park, 24400 Russell Road, Kent. Get rid of those unwanted or hard-to-recycle at the curb items at the FREE Recycling Collection Event! Bring tires, appliances, batteries, Styrofoam, small electronics and woody debris four inches in diameter or larger. For a complete list, check out this flyer. This event is funded by grants from the King County Solid Waste Division, the Local Hazardous Waste Management Program, and the Department of Ecology.
Sorry, no paper shredding until the June 7th event at the Phoenix Academy parking lot. For a list of shredding events, visit the Attorney General's website: www.atg.wa.gov/shredathon.aspx#events.
For information on where to safely recycle or dispose of computers, monitors, laptops, TVs year-round at no cost, please visit http://www.ecyclewashington.org/ or call 1-800-RECYCLE.
recycled products sale...
March 22, 2014, 9:00am at Russell Rd. Park, 24400 Russell Road, Kent.
Never have to buy compost again! Make your own with a composter or a worm bin for just $25! Added to your flower beds, compost feeds organisms that provide plants with nutrients, water and protection from disease. It makes plants healthier, cuts down on water and fertilizer bills, and helps protect our streams from chemicals and excess runoff.
Want FREE water for your summer garden? Pick up a rainbarrel at the event for $30, while supplies last. One quarter inch of rain falling on a typical size 1,500 square foot roof, will yield over 200 gallons of water. It has no chemicals, is just the right temperature, and plants love it! These sell out quickly, so don’t be late. For more information, call 253-856-5549.
spring curbside cleanup week...
During the week of March 31 - April 4, residents can place up to 10 - 32 gallon equivalent units of Garbage at the curb on their regularly-scheduled garbage day, along with 10 - 32 gallon equivalent units of Yard Waste - even if it's not their normal Yard Waste Collection Day. This is true only during that week, any other time, there would be a charge for the additional quantities. For details, see the flyer.
City-wide spring litter cleanup...
On Saturday, May 17, 9:00-1:00, is the 2nd annual Litter Cleanup event to spruce up Kent. Bring family and friends to help make Kent sparkle! Watch for more information as this program develops.
Free Recycling App!
Calling all smart-phone users! Good news! 1-800-Recycling.com, a national data base of recycling vendors now has a FREE App to download for iPhone and Android users. How cool is that? Anything you’d ever want to recycle can be found on it. Just select the material category, and the GPS function will provide a list of vendors in our area that will accept that material. Check it out!
Approximately 30% of what we throw away consists of things that can go into the yard waste bin. Listed below are steps to help minimize the amount of "garbage" that goes into your cart.
Throw food scraps away in a convenient kitchen countertop container
- Many styles are available and some offer carbon filters to eliminate odors
- Line the container with a paper or compostable bag for easy carry-out
Collect food scraps and food-soiled paper after a meal and when cleaning out the fridge
- Peel spuds right onto yesterday’s news – a couple of pages from a newspaper will do to wrap it up
- Add in fruit and veggie trimmings, meat, fish, chicken-even the bones, bread, pasta, coffee grounds
- After dinner, scrape the plates straight into the container
- Paper towels, napkins, greasy pizza delivery boxes, uncoated (non-shiny) paper plates and cups can go in too
Empty the container into your green yard waste cart
- Reduce odors by dumping kitchen container contents into your green cart daily
- Keep your cart clean by lining the bottom with newspaper and/or layer your food scraps in with your yard waste; using compostable or paper bags will also help keep the cart clean
- Add shredded paper with food waste to absorb moisture
- Rinse out your cart out on grass, NEVER DOWN A STORM DRAIN. Allied Waste offers one free cart cleaning per year and additional cleanings cost $8.24 each call 206-682-9735 to sign up for the service.
Worried about odors? Designate a produce drawer or corner in your fridge or freezer to store those “odor ridden” items-generally the raw meats, chicken and fish. Add these items to your green yard waste cart and reduce your garbage, the size of your gray cart and garbage bill. More recycling tips and flyers are avaliable.