king county free repair time event...
If you have broken household items or clothing that needs mending, bring them to the free event at the Kent Senior Center, 600 E. Smith St., on Oct. 4th, 3-6pm. Sign up in advance by calling 206-477-4481 or email Tom.Watson@KingCounty.gov.
Skilled fixers will be on hand that will attempt to make repairs. Please only bring items small enough to be easily carried in by one person. Do not bring items that are leaking, contain gasoline, are dangerous, or have a strong odor.
You must be present during the repair. Sorry, no guarantee an item can be fixed, or that attempting to fix it won't break it even more. For items needing product-specific parts, fixers will determine what is needed online and assist you in ordering it to finish the repair.
Tell friends and neighbors - see you there!
fall recycling event/composter sale...
Hogan park on Russell rd., Saturday, october 15, 2016
Clean out the clutter, or downsize! Bring items no longer needed and not easily recycled at the curb to the FREE recycling event! Bring appliances, tires, Styrofoam, batteries, and up to three file-sized boxes of documents to shred!
The Big Blue Truck from NW Center will be on site to collect reusable household goods and clothing in all states - wearable or not. Non-wearables will be made into cleaning rags, insulation or carpeting. For a complete list of what will be accepted at the event, check out the flyer. The Composters will sell for $25 each.
Remember, uncovered materials can get airborne and cause accidents and injuries in addition to littering our streets, so be sure to cover your load and avoid a potential ticket. See you at the event!
Save $$$, reduce food waste...
Food waste – it’s not garbage any more… Keeping it out of our area’s last remaining landfill saves space for real garbage and reduces methane, a greenhouse gas far more persistent than carbon dioxide. Add it to your Green Cart where it gets sent to Cedar Grove to be turned into compost to provide food for plants. For tips on what you can add to your green cart, visit www.RepublicServicesKent.com !
For information on how to start a backyard composting project, visit http://your.kingcounty.gov/solidwaste/naturalyardcare/compost.asp. Buy a composter, or make your own, and never buy compost again! For instructions on how to make a composter, call 253-856-5549.
Free Recycling App!
Calling all smart-phone users! Good news! 1-800-Recycling.com, a national data base of recycling vendors now has a FREE App to download for iPhone and Android users. How cool is that? Anything you’d ever want to recycle can be found on it. Just select the material category, and the GPS function will provide a list of vendors in our area that will accept that material. Check it out!
Approximately 30% of what we throw away consists of things that can go into the yard waste bin. Listed below are steps to help minimize the amount of "garbage" that goes into your cart.
Throw food scraps away in a convenient kitchen countertop container
- Many styles are available and some offer carbon filters to eliminate odors
- Line the container with a paper or compostable bag for easy carry-out
Collect food scraps and food-soiled paper after a meal and when cleaning out the fridge
- Peel spuds right onto yesterday’s news – a couple of pages from a newspaper will do to wrap it up
- Add in fruit and veggie trimmings, meat, fish, chicken-even the bones, bread, pasta, coffee grounds
- After dinner, scrape the plates straight into the container
- Paper towels, napkins, greasy pizza delivery boxes, uncoated (non-shiny) paper plates and cups can go in too
Empty the container into your green yard waste cart
- Reduce odors by dumping kitchen container contents into your green cart daily
- Keep your cart clean by lining the bottom with newspaper and/or layer your food scraps in with your yard waste; using compostable or paper bags will also help keep the cart clean
- Add shredded paper with food waste to absorb moisture
- Rinse out your cart on a strip of lawn, NEVER DOWN A STORM DRAIN. Republic Services offers one free cart cleaning per year and additional cleanings cost $8.68 each call 206-682-9735 to sign up for the service.
Worried about odors? Designate a produce drawer or corner in your fridge or freezer to store those “odor ridden” items-generally the raw meats, chicken and fish. Add these items to your green yard waste cart and reduce your garbage, the size of your gray cart and garbage bill. See flyers for more information.