220 Fourth Avenue South, Kent WA 98032 - (253) 856-5200


The Official Website of the City of Kent

City Taxes

City taxes are administered by the Finance Department who can be reached:

In person - Centennial Building at 400 West Gowe Street, Suite 406.

By Phone - 253-856-5210

By Email -  Finance@KentWA.gov.


The City of Kent imposes the following taxes used to fund essential City services. These taxes are remitted directly to the City of Kent:


The City also receives a portion of the following taxes remitted to King County and to Washington State:


  King County

  • Property Tax
  • Real Estate Excise Tax


State of Washington

  • Sales and Use Tax
  • Lodging Tax
  • Leasehold Excise Tax
  • Brokered Natural Gas Use Tax


It is important that the business properly records the City of Kent’s Location Code [1715] on the Department of Revenue Combined Excise Tax Return to ensure that the City’s portion of the state collected taxes are remitted to the City. Sales and use tax information is available from the Washington State Department of Revenue.


Please see Helpful Contact Information for the City of Kent as well as other agencies.  The Guide to Kent’s Business and Occupation Tax provides a comprehensive overview of the City’s business & occupation tax and a summary of other taxes imposed by the City.


This website does not discuss all possible applications of the tax requirements.  For clarification of your individual circumstances, consult the Kent City Code (KCC), your tax advisor or both.



The material in this site is intended for general informational purposes only.  While it is current at the time of publication, changes to the Kent City Code (KCC) or state law may invalidate some of this information.  In the event of a conflict between this site and the KCC, the KCC prevails.


Admissions Tax

Whenever a charge is collected for admission to any place or event for entertainment or recreation within the Kent city limits, an admissions tax is levied. 


B&O Tax

In general, all businesses subject to the State of Washington business and occupation tax and conducting business activities within Kent city limits are subject to the City's tax.


Gambling Tax

All persons, associations, and organizations that have been duly licensed by the Washington State Gambling Commission to conduct or operate gambling activities are subject to Gambling Tax.


Utility Tax

All organizations (including the City of Kent) providing the following services are subject to the utility tax:

  • Water
  • Sewer
  • Drainage
  • Garbage collection and disposal
  • Electric and Natural Gas
  • Cable
  • Telephone and cellular