220 Fourth Avenue South, Kent WA 98032 - (253) 856-5200


The Official Website of the City of Kent

Business and Occupation (B&O) Tax

(Kent City Council Ordinances 4054 and 4055)


Effective January 1, 2013 the City adopted a Business and Occupation (B&O) tax.  In general, all businesses subject to the State of Washington B&O tax, whether located within or outside Kent city limits, that conduct business activities in Kent are subject to the city’s tax.  Effective October 1, 2013, all businesses will be required to file their City of Kent B&O Tax Return Online.  B&O Taxes are administered by the Audit Division of the Finance Department and can be contacted by email at Business-occupation@Kentwa.gov or by phone at 253-856-6266.


Section 3.28.030 of the Kent City Code establishes the definition of terms used on this website and certain related referenced documents, e.g. “engaging in business” and “manufacturer”.


News and Announcements




Business Licenses

All businesses operating in Kent are required to obtain a City Business License. 


Admissions Tax

Whenever a charge is collected for admission to any place or event for entertainment or recreation within the Kent city limits, an admissions tax is levied. 


Gambling Tax

All persons, associations, and organizations that have been duly licensed by the Washington State Gambling Commission to conduct or operate gambling activities are subject to Gambling Tax.


Utility Tax

All organizations (including the City of Kent) providing the following services are subject to the utility tax:

  • Water
  • Sewer
  • Drainage
  • Garbage collection and disposal
  • Electric and Natural Gas
  • Cable
  • Telephone and cellular